January 31, 2003

“Cash for College” Workshop Informs Parents, Students About Free Money for College

Parents: Getting up to $9,700 in free money for your child’s college education through the state’s Cal Grant program could be as simple as attending a special workshop Saturday, February 8 at the Scottish Rite Center, 1895 Camino Del Rio South, Mission Valley.

The event, titled Cash for College, will be held from 9 a.m. and 1 p.m., and features trained volunteers who will help parents and high school seniors apply for free financial aid monies available to California students through Cal Grants.

“If you are a high school senior who wants to go to college, or the parent of a high school senior, you should definitely attend this workshop to get more information on Cal Grant benefits and assistance in applying,” says Pam Perry, an outreach coordinator with Cal SOAP (California Student Opportunity and Access Program) of San Diego and Imperial Counties, which is helping to sponsor the workshop locally. The workshop includes free childcare.

California Gov. Gray Davis has declared February Cal Grant Month, which officially kicks off February 2 throughout the state with College Goal Sunday events, followed by individual Cash for College workshops in various cities designed to give parents and students assistance in completing Cal Grant applications.

Cal Grants this year are guaranteed to those qualifying students who apply by March 3, 2003, and meet the grade point average and family income requirements. Cal Grants do not have to be repaid.

Cash for College volunteers will help workshop attendees fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) — the form required to apply for most state and federal financial aid — as well as the Cal Grant Grade Point Average (GPA) Verification form.

Cal Grants are available for financially eligible high school seniors graduating this year. A 2.0 GPA is needed to qualify.

High school seniors and their parents attending the Cash for College event need to bring: their IRS 1040 tax return or a W-2 Form, or other recent verification of income and benefits (and if the 2002 tax form has not yet been filed, bring records of all earned and unearned income for 2002 or the tax return from 2001); the parent’s and student’s Social Security card; and if not a U.S. citizen, a copy of the student’s and/or parent’s alien card.

For more information on the Cal Grant program or to see a list of events scheduled during Cal Grant Month, visit www.californiacollegegoalsunday.com or call 1-866-476-8787.

Return to the Frontpage