The City of San Diego Environmental Services Department will host the 28th Annual Christmas Tree Recycling Program beginning December 26, 2001 through January 18, 2002. This year the program will offer 26 drop-off locations throughout the City of San Diego and is co-sponsored by the City, I Love A Clean San Diego and the San Diego Association of Realtors.
"We encourage all those who celebrate the holidays with a Christmas Tree to participate in our recycling program," said Richard L. Hays, director of the City of San Diego Environmental Services Department. "This year, we will accept all trees including flocked trees (fake snow). The trees will be recycled into high quality mulch and compost which is available throughout the year to city residents for free at the Miramar Greenery."
Residents participating in the Christmas Tree Recycling Program should plan to drop off only clean trees during daylight hours. All tree stands, nails and staples must be removed before dropping off. Ornaments and other tree decorations cannot be recycled and must be disposed of as trash. Please do not illegally dump non-recyclable items at the drop-off locations.
Residents who currently receive curbside greenery recycling collection can also recycle their trees through the curbside collection program by placing trees at the curb with the regular greenery recycling. Residents who wish to recycle trees through the curbside recycling program are required to remove all non recyclable materials before placing trees with the greenery.
This year's drop-off locations are similar to previous locations but the Mira Mesa location has changed. The Mira Mesa High School will not be a tree recycling site this year due to construction. The site has been moved to nearby Little League fields on New Salem Street, one-quarter of a mile north of the Mira Mesa High School.
The following are the City's 26 drop-off locations for the 28th Annual Christmas Tree Recycling Program:
1. Carmel Valley: Carmel Valley Recreation Center, 3777 Townsgate Drive, lower parking lot.
2. City Heights East: City Farmers Nursery, 4832 Home Avenue @ Euclid Avenue.
3. City Heights East: Colina del Sol Swimming Pool, 4150 54th Place.
4. Clairemont: Clairemont Mesa Boulevard @ Diane Street.
5. Encanto: Cielo Drive @ Woodman Street.
6. Golden Hill: Golden Hill Recreation Center, 2600 Golf Course Drive.
7. La Jolla: Soledad Park, La Jolla Scenic Drive @ Via Capri.
8. Logan Heights: Memorial Recreation Center, 2902 Marcy Avenue.
9. Mira Mesa: Mira Mesa League Ball Fields, 8500 block of New Salem St.
10. Miramar: Miramar Landfull and Greenery Recycling, Convoy Street North of Highway 52.
11. Mission Bay: Sea World Drive @ Pacific Highway
12. Mission Valley: Super Target parking lot in Mission Valley Center.
13. Mountain View: Mountain View Recreation Center, Ocean View Boulevard @ 40th Street.
14. Oak Park: Chollas Lake, 6350 College Grove Drive, in Gloria's Mesa parking lot
15. Ocean Beach: Robb Field Recreation Center, 2525 Bacon Street.
16. Otay Mesa/Nestor: Montgomery Waller Community Park
17. Rancho Bernardo: Pinery Christmas Tree Company, 13421 Highland Valley Road.
18. Rancho Penasquitos: Canyonside Recreation Center, 12350 Black Mountain Road.
19. San Diego State University: Parking Lot C off Alvarado Road.
20. San Carlos: San Carlos Recreation Center, 6445 Lake Badin Avenue.
21. Scripps Ranch: Hoyt Park Canyon off Aviary Drive.
22. Scripps Ranch: Scripps Ranch Recreation Center, 11454 Blue Cypress Drive.
23. Serra Mesa: Serra Mesa Recreation Center, 9020 Village Glen Drive.
24. Tierrasanta: De Portola Middle School, 11010 Clairemont Mesa Boulevard.
25. University City: Swan-son Pool, 3585 Governor Drive.
26. University City: Doyle Community Park, on Cargill Ave.
Additional information about drop-off site locations available by calling the City of San Diego Recycling Hotline at (858) 467-0903 or (800) 237-2583.
For information on mulch and compost produced at the Miramar Greenery, please call the Miramar Landfill at (858) 573-1420. Residents of San Diego County who would like more information, please call 1 (800) 237-2583.